Chapter 1
1. Presently, I don’t teach however I can see the benefit of inquiry learning when it comes to Art. Art is about points of view, making statements and effectively communicating them. Good Art is not about pretty pictures but some deeper meaning than what someone simply sees. It involves thought and inquiry to understand the deeper meaning. It is important to be able to ask questions, think and come to conclusions about the artwork.
2. Big ideas in classroom projects provide students with direction. Instead of just teaching the material Big Ideas give the students opportunities to think about the topic/subject and come to their own conclusions. A Big Idea question that could be used in an Art History lesson might be one involving a lesson on Goya’s painting, 3rd of May 1808, “Who are the individuals being held at gunpoint and why are they being executed?”
3. Some strategies may include having students, in small groups, first list what they get from simply looking at the picture, they can list what they think is happening just by what is presented to them. They can then list any questions that they may be left with. They can then use resources, the web, library, etc. to answer their own questions. Then the class can discuss what each group came up with.
Chapter 2
1. Presently, I don’t teach however I can see the benefit of inquiry learning when it comes to Art. Art is about points of view, making statements and effectively communicating them. Good Art is not about pretty pictures but some deeper meaning than what someone simply sees. It involves thought and inquiry to understand the deeper meaning. It is important to be able to ask questions, think and come to conclusions about the artwork.
2. SOL: Art 1: 21-the students will analyze an original work of Art by describing, responding, analyzing, interpreting and judging or evaluating.
3. Objectives: Determine what was happening politically in the country that the painting depicts. Describe how Goya’s background may have influenced his point of view regarding the events of May 3, 1808. Describe how Goya successfully portrays his point of view in artistic terms.
4. Students will acquire Cognitive Domains of Analysis, Synthesis and Evaluation.
5. Students may lose sight of trying to connect the history with the artist’s point of view. The teacher will have to be aware of the issue of connecting the history of the event with the artist’s portrayal of the event. The lesson is not solely about the history but about the artist’s point of view.
6. Some strategies may include having students, in small groups, first list what they get from simply looking at the picture, they can list what they think is happening just by what is presented to them. They can then list any questions that they may be left with. They can then use resources, the web, library, etc. to answer their own questions. Then the class can discuss what each group came up with.
Monday, October 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a great idea! This would go really well with a WebQuest as your Inquiry-based activity. There are alot of examples of Art Webquests online, you should check some of them out, they might give you some ideas for your project.
ReplyDeleteArt can really bring out higher-order thinking skills by analyzing the information from the painting and being creative about what it means to the student.
I'm exicted to see what you come up with!
Without "Big Idea," what is the purpose of art? That's what I thought... I used to love painting. I could have been a artist (if my parents didn't ... ~_~) Anyway, yes! So much dedication in art throughout history. I cannot add any more than Jessica, but will you place hyperlink to see the Goya's picture? I like to see it after reading your posting. Thanks...
ReplyDelete